Writing a resume doesn’t have to be hard!
If you are in career training school to become a medical billing and coding specialist, you probably already know that writing a resume is one of the first steps in your job search. A resume is your chance to show a potential employer that you have the background and skills for the job.
How do you begin writing a resume? First you should gather up information about your past experiences, to make sure you know the names and dates of past employers and schools. The next step is to take a look at some sample resumes online to get an idea of how you want to format yours. Below is one example of a sample resume for an entry level position in medical billing and coding.
Sample Resume: Medical Billing and Coding Specialist (entry level)
444 Orlando Street – Orlando, FL 32809
Cell: 222-222-2222 – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Highly detail-oriented professional seeking to provide medical coding services with accuracy, efficiency, and integrity in the medical coding department of [name of potential employer here].
MEDICAL CODING and MEDICAL BILLING SKILLS
– International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10)
– Current Procedural Terminology (CPT-4)
– Medicare, Medicaid, Workers Comp claims
– Medical insurance billing
– Medical coding
– Medical terminology
– HIPAA, confidentiality
– Online claim submission
– MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook
– Can type 45 words per minute
– Maintaining electronic health records (EHR)
Externship in Medical Billing and Coding (unpaid externship)
General Hospital, Orlando, FL – July 2017 to October 2017
– Shadowed a medical coder, observing coding for 75 charts per day
– Worked with both dictated charts and electronic charts
– Learned to identify and solve errors
– Assisted with data entry
– Assisted with looking up codes when needed
Dick’s Sporting Goods, Orlando, FL – September 2014 to October 2016
– Provided customer service to over 100 customers daily
– Interacted with customers in a friendly and helpful manner to enhance the customer experience
– Promoted company programs, such as warranties, sales, and loyalty program
– Handled customer complaints or concerns professionally
– Restocked inventory as needed
American College for Medical Careers (accredited school)
Medical billing and coding diploma, October 2017
– Graduated with a 3.8 GPA
– Program included an externship placement
Jones High School, Orlando, FL
For more information on resume writing and cover letter writing, try:
This sample resume was provided by the American College for Medical Careers, where we offer a medical billing and coding training program as well as other medical career options. Contact us online to learn more about the medical career paths you can begin with us.